Sunday, September 21, 2014

BODY IMAGE

Hey guys, I want to apologize for not posting for a while. I could make up excuses, but it doesn't matter. I've tried to blog from my iPhone, but it doesn't work that well.

anyway....
Today I have taken on Delightfully Tacky's challenge of sharing my story on body image. This post was blogged a few weeks ago, but I am going to do it today!


I, like everyone else in this world, have insecurities. Most of them are about my body. I will say that the media should be blamed for this, but the "media" is too broad of a word. TV, magazines, advertisements, movies, and runways are the biggest offenders of sending out negative body image, but recently pop songs have joined in on the hate. 

Meghan Trainor's "All About That Bass" has been especially bothering me. Celebs such as Ellen have praised her for singing about accepting your body. But ask yourself, is okay to make fun of other body types in the process? 
My answer is no. A song that uses the term "skinny b*tches" is not okay!! I want to help people to accept and love all body types, but not like this. I may be biased because I am considered to be thin, but I have had my share of hate as well.

Skinny-shaming is just as big of an issue as fat-shaming. I'm tired of people telling me that I'm too skinny and need to eat more! What if I had an eating disorder and a person said that to my face? I am grateful not to have an eating disorder, but I no longer tolerate these types of comments. I believe it's the same as someone saying "You're fat; you need to eat less." Although no one would say that because "fat" is considered a mean, dirty word.

 Women, girls (and men, too) shouldn't have to defend their bodies. I want to be confident, to FEEL confident, and not be pressured by anyone to change the way I see myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment